Monday, November 29, 2010

Brining A Turkey

Our turkey this year turned out pretty good and Ryan and I think it's because we brined it.  I found this recipe online and instead of tucking my sticky note away never to be found again I thought I would put it here where it will be easy to find in the future.

I filled a cooler with water, enough to cover the turkey about 1-2 inches.  We added 2 Cups of salt per 2 gallons of water (so measure the water as you pour it into whatever container you are using).  After removing the neck and whatever else is inside soak the turkey 1 hour per pound.  We actually did about 14 hours for a 20 lb. turkey.  Put the turkey in breast side down then roll it over half way through.

Before roasting rinse the turkey thoroughly and then pat it dry inside and out.

1 comment: