Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pesto Potato Salad with Green Beans

I got a bunch of lovely fresh green beans from my co-op this week, so I was looking for a good, simple recipe to use them in. I don't think I've ever had so many green beans in my life, particularly because I've never liked them before. But I LOVE this salad. We've been eating it for days, it's fantastic even re-heated later.



I found the recipe on this site, which recommends making your own pesto. But I gave in and bought the kind that comes in a jar from the store. If you want the recipe for the pesto you'll have to visit their site.

4 pounds small Yukon gold or red-skinned potatoes, quartered
1 pound green beans, cut into one-inch segments
6 tablespoons (or more to taste) mild vinegar, such as white wine or a white balsamic
1/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
Parmesan cheese to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
(pesto)

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans; cook four minutes longer. Drain well and let cool, then transfer potatoes and beans to a large bowl.

Toss the beans and potatoes with pesto. Stir in vinegar, green onions, pine nuts and season with salt, pepper and/or additional vinegar to taste. Finally, shave some wide flecks of parmesan over the salad with a vegetable peeler.

Serve immediately, or make this up to two hours in advance. It can be stored at room temperature.
(This was good cold, hot, room temp, whatever).

I did this a little differently. I cubed the potatoes and roasted them in the oven with some salt, pepper, and olive oil for about 40 minutes. Then I boiled some water, threw in the green beans for 4 minutes, then drained them and rinsed them with cold water (to stop them from cooking further). Then I just combined the potatoes and green beans with the rest of the ingredients. Yum!

1 comment: