Saturday, May 30, 2009

EL Pollo Loco Chicken

El Pollo Loco Chicken

1 cup White wine vinegar
1 cup Olive oil
1/2 cup White wine
1 tbls. Oregano
1 teas. Thyme
3 tbls. Salt
10 Garlic cloves; minced
1 1/2 teas. Tabasco sauce

Mix all ingredients and marinate two whole chicken which have been cut in
half. Marinate several hours in refrigerator. Grill chickens slowly until
done.


My comments:

To make this taste like real El Pollo Loco chicken I have to doctor the recipe slightly. This recipe is a GREAT jumping off point. It works great as is. Again, I have served this at many functions with people begging for the recipe. It also helps that Jason is great on the grill. Don't over cook these.

I usually add citrus to the recipe because I think that is what I like best about El Pollo Loco's chicken. I will add the juice of a lemon, lime, and a clementine(you can use an orange, just have these a lot cause kids love them). Along with most of the rind grated fine. I use my microplane and attack the skin(avoid the bitter white pulp), then slice and juice the fruit. I just use what ever citrus I have on hand and it works.

Usually don't have white wine around and will either leave it out of replace with chicken broth or white grape juice, if I have it.

Dried herbs work great.

I use boneless skinless chicken breasts. I am really particular about the type I use. I search for natural meat that has not been injected with the 10-15% of water and salt that many stores carry. I think it does not allow the chicken to absorb marinades well and I also think when they process the chicken so much it makes it really rubbery. I know it is much harder to find minimally processed chicken, but it makes a HUGE difference to me. Ok, I'll let it go.

1 comment:

  1. I go crazy for El Pollo chicken so this will be fun to see how it comes out at home!

    ReplyDelete