Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Barbecued Chinese Lettuce Wraps

This is a simple recipe and has not too many hard to find ingredients, but I always get rave reviews. The flavors are very complex and fresh considering how easy it is. I also add a little fresh cilantro if I have it on hand (I love the stuff and put it in what ever I can). You could also add some other small diced veggies if you want to use them up.


2 cups, fresh shiitake mushrooms ( I used button mushrooms, didn’t see these other at the store now I don't even bother looking, regular mushrooms work great in this recipe)
1 1/3 to 1 1/2 pounds thin cut chicken breast or chicken tenders
2 tablespoons light colored oil, such as vegetable oil or peanut oil (I use olive usually)
Coarse salt and coarse black pepper
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch ginger root, finely chopped or grated
1 orange, zested
1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
1 small tin, 6 to 8 ounces, sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
3 scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons hoisin, Chinese barbecue sauce, available on Asian foods aisle of market
Romaine Lettuce

Slice mushrooms. Chop chicken into small pieces.
Preheat a large skillet or wok to high.
Add oil to hot pan. Add chicken to the pan and sear meat by stir frying a minute or 2. Add mushrooms and cook another minute or two. Add salt and pepper to season, then garlic and ginger. Cook a minute more. Grate zest into pan, add bell pepper bits, chopped water chestnuts and scallions. Cook another minute, continuing to stir fry mixture. Add hoisin Chinese barbecue sauce and toss to coat the mixture evenly. Transfer the hot chopped barbecued chicken to serving platter and pile the romaine leaves along side. To eat, pile spoonfuls into lettuce leaves, wrapping lettuce around fillings.

Here are a few of my tips that make this a staple at my place. First I cut all ingredients as small as I can. This allows me to get more veggies into my kids without them recognizing them. Also, I hate mushrooms, but cut very small, they add a wonderful flavor. Also I cut up all my veggies first. While I am chopping, which is a little time consuming, I put the meat in the freezer. By the time I get to the meat, it is slightly frozen and cuts tons better. This adds the benefit of throwing the cutting board in the dishwasher after all the cutting is done and no worries about meat contamination. I put romaine leaves even though the original recipe had iceberg. I think my kids like calling them tacos. I know it is crazy, but I get a lot less complaints. I usually by the romaine at Costco and this uses quite a bit.

No picture now. Will work on it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing! I've been looking for a new favorite dish.

    ReplyDelete